Saturday, January 29, 2011

Homesick Chinese Takeout

This recipe is for everyone, who, like me, gets inexplicably homesick for the kind of bad Chinese food you get at Chinese takeout. This tastes exactly like the "Bourbon Chicken" you get at food courts all across the US.

It's reprinted here directly from food.com - I can't take any credit for the recipe. I just copy and pasted. I have attached a few of my own notes in parentheses.

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (aka one kilo)
1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (any vegetable oil is fine and makes no flavor difference)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar (I suspect white sugar would be fine but I haven't tried it)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Directions:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time:35 mins

• Heat oil in a large skillet.
• Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
• Remove chicken.
• Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed and dissolved.
• Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. (I bring to a boil and then add the chicken)
• Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.

Note: I like to add frozen veggies during the simmer period. Broccoli or green beans are both nice. I also recommend adding a mix of 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water to the sauce toward the end of the simmer to thicken it.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/bourbon-chicken-45809#ixzz1CR0fKLfK

No comments:

Post a Comment