Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recipe: Vaguely Turkish Soup

I love this soup. It's light and refreshing served lukewarm or room temperature in the summer, and it's savory and warming in the winter. It's so easy to make than I am faintly embarrassed to serve it and so good that we had it as part of our Christmas dinner this year.

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken broth (vegetable if you prefer, just pick broth you like the taste of)
1 cup full fat plain yogurt (I make my own, but it doesn't matter much)
2/3 cup of cooked rice
2 tablespoons finely diced fresh mint (or two teaspoons dried)

Instructions:

1. Bring broth to a boil.
2. Turn heat down to a low simmer and stir in the yogurt and rice.
3. Add half the mint, and bring back to simmer.
4. Taste. If you like it, you're done. If it needs more mint, add the remaining mint to taste.
5. That's it!

Notes:

1. Too much mint will ruin the soup, so add it slowly and taste.
2. As the name implies, this soup is based on one of my favorite Turkish soups. I bought it in packets for a year before I thought to duplicate it at home. An actual Turkish recipe blogger has a recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment